Learning how to tie a cravat for a wedding suit is something that every man should know (and women as well) because you will eventually need to do it – and of course, it is helpful that you know how to tie a cravat so you can also help out with the rest of the guys who might not know how to do it by themselves. We give you the essential answers and easy steps in tying a cravat for a wedding…
Rob in Boston sent us a question about tying a cravat for a wedding…
How do you tie a wedding cravat for a wedding suit?
I’m the best man for a wedding and all the groomsmen are going to be wearing cravats. I’ve never worn a cravat before, let alone know how to tie a cravat. I need to learn this before the rehearsals. Please tell me, how do you tie a cravat correctly and what other ways to tie a cravat are there? Thanks guys.
So what’s the difference between a tie and a cravat? Well, a cravat tie is wider than the usual business tie, so make sure that you have purchased something that is right for your wedding suit. Here is a simple guide in helping you out in tying a formal cravat and how to wear a cravat tie correctly.
Wearing a cravat is an excellent choice if you are thinking about courthouse wedding ideas.
“The art of tying a cravat is a useful thing to know when it comes to tying a wedding cravat and wedding ties.”
Tying a Cravat: Instructions You Can Follow..
1. Put the tie around your neck making sure that the plain side is against your neck and the wider ends are in front. Make sure to extend the right end longer than the left end. Extending the right end at least an inch from the left can help you make the knot later.
2. Cross the long end of the cravat over the short end.
3. Pass the long end underneath the shorter length, bringing it back to where it came from.
4. Cross it over the short end once again just like wrapping the short end with the long one from the underneath.
5. Pull the long side of the cravat over the top or from the loop that is around your neck and bring it back down.
6. You can then secure it with a pin to hold it in place of course.
Different ways of wearing a cravat
This is how you tie a cravat for weddings that are a little casual. However, there is one way how to tie a formal cravat for weddings and events. You just have to bring the long end through the loop created while wrapping it around the short end, just as you will do with a business tie, but with a cravat, you don’t pull it too tight like a business tie. You can then secure this in place with a pin.
There you go, now you know how to tie a casual cravat and a formal cravat. The next time a cravat is required for a wedding, you can actually help out the guys in tying a cravat for them.