So you gotta send out invitations and you want a prompt reply. What about your wedding RSVP timeline and when should people RSVP for a wedding? Do your guests even know about RSVP etiquette or how to fill out a wedding RSVP card? Don’t worry – We’ve got essential advice for you and your guests and even some funny RSVP wording…
So What Does RSVP Mean?
- RSVP, or R.S.V.P can often be seen at the end of an invitation, It is an abbreviation and the initials come from the French phrase “repondez s’il vous plait” which means “please respond” – This means if you receive an RSVP invitation then you must respond and inform the hostess (or host) whether or not you plan to attend the event or not.
- Unless specified, An RSVP is not an optional request, neither is it a request to reply only if you are attending, or not attending. The hostess will be expecting a reply.
- An RSVP invitation will have a date which indicates when to give your RSVP response by. Make sure you reply with your answer before that date.
- Often an RSVP invitation will come with a reply card and envelope, use it to send your reply.
Wedding RSVP Timeline – How Long Should I Allow for a Response?
So what is the usual RSVP timeline for wedding invitations, between the wedding date and the date you ask people to respond by? You’ll need time to prepare, make your seating plans, finalize catering, plus little things like favors.
- As a wedding planner, we usually suggest a wedding invitation RSVP timeline of 3 to 4 weeks for a regular wedding. One month is never too early to finalize everything, so make it clear to your guests to RSVP within that specific time. This will give you time to organize everything and contact stragglers who haven’t replied.
Destination Wedding RSVP Timeline and Etiquette
If you are having a destination wedding, you will need more time to plan and you need to give your guests more time to prepare.
- Send out ‘Save the Date cards’ early. Depending on your wedding location, send them to your guests about 6 months to a year before your wedding. Make sure you include the wedding location and other relevant details – this will give your guests a chance to prepare. You can be creative with your Save the Date cards and use photos or even colors from your wedding theme.
- For a destination wedding; RSVP etiquette requires a longer RSVP reply time. Usually 6 to 8 weeks before the wedding date.
Find out more about destination wedding etiquette – essential reading.
RSVP Wedding Templates and RSVP Wording Samples
Here are a couple of basic RSVP card examples.
Sometimes your wedding RSVP card wording can add things like meal requests or even a song request.
Sample RSVP Wording for Wedding Invitations – Unique and Funny RSVP Wording
Instead of the usual “Will attend” or “Will not attend”, you can change your invitation RSVP wording. You don’t have to be formal, you can create unique or funny RSVP wording to match your wedding theme, or your personality. Make your guests laugh!
Here are some creative RSVP invitation wording examples…
Can’t you? ___Can’t Wait. ___Can’t Come.
Ante Up: ___All in. ___Bust.
Be there or be square! ___Hooray, I’m there! ___Sadly, I’m square.
Got bells? ___Will be there with bells on! ___Won’t be there, no bells!
Connected? ___Online! ___Offline!
Who’s Rolling? ___I’m In, Collect $100 and Pass Go. ___Stuck in Jail, Lose a Turn
Do you dig us? ___Come rain or shine, We’ll be there! ___Sorry, no umbrellas! (good for garden theme wedding)
Usually unusual wording for wedding RSVP cards is printed on unique response cards, for example if you had a gardening themed wedding then you might use a cardboard flower or something like that. As a rule, don’t use formal reply cards for a funny RSVP. Also, don’t make your wedding invitation RSVP wording too confusing to the reader or you might get an incorrect answer – clear and simple is best!
How To Reply To RSVP Wedding Invitation; Wording and RSVP Etiquette
If you have received a wedding invitation requesting your RSVP, you probably want to know how to reply to an RSVP for a wedding invitation. There are rules on how to reply to RSVP; etiquette also needs to be observed.
When thinking about how to RSVP to a wedding, one of the important things that you have to keep in mind when you receive an invitation with RSVP is to understand that you must reply to the invitation – whether you are attending or not.
Find out what goes in a wedding invitation for more great advice and ideas.
“For hosts, the RSVP for wedding timeline should be long enough for guests to reply before the wedding RSVP date.”
Read about how you can decide who to invite to your wedding.
At times, RSVPs require a written reply and you can do this by sending a simple RSVP reply card or writing:
“I accept with pleasure your kind invitation for Saturday, December 25th.”
or if you cannot attend…
“I regret that I am unable to accept the invitation” or “Sorry I will not be able to attend.”
- Usually the invitation will include an RSVP reply card, so you can use that, also there will probably be an envelope with a stamp attached, for you to use when returning your reply.
- Do not give a hanging reply, explaining that you’ll see if you can clear up your schedule. It is always important to send a final reply to avoid bother on the part of the bride.
- RSVP cards for weddings are not used for asking questions – only give the required information.
Reply by Phone or Online..
For faster confirmation though, RSVP these days only require you to send a message, an email or call a number to confirm your attendance. As soon as you have finalized your schedule, it is always a good thing to call back as soon as possible.
How to reply to RSVP; etiquette..
Keep in mind that if you decide to cancel your attendance because of some very important matter, then you are required to call or inform the hostess as soon as you know that you cannot make it. Of course, apart from a death in the family, or some kind of natural disaster, it’s considered extremely rude to reverse your decision after you RSVP with a positive response.
Just remember the golden rule when it comes to RSVP – for hosts and wedding RSVP timeline etiquette, allow enough time for your guests to reply. For guests, be good and reply promptly before the RSVP date for weddings.
Got any interesting RSVP stories? How about unique RSVP cards? Comment, tweet, let us know…