What does the best man do at a wedding? What are the best man responsibilities and duties? How about best man traditions or the toast to the groom?
These are questions that you may be thinking about if you are being a best man for your friend or brother’s wedding. Don’t worry – we’ve got best man advice and answers guaranteed to help you out and be the best best man at the wedding!
Of course, everyone in the wedding entourage has their share of responsibilities and duties – during and even before the wedding day. Although the women are usually more excited about their wedding roles, men also have their own duties and responsibilities – and one of the biggest is the best man role – you will be the “go to guy” or the hand holder for the groom.
If you have agreed to become the best man for your friend or best friend’s wedding and you are asking yourself “what should I do as the best man?”, here is an essential best man guide to wedding duties, responsibilities and tasks. You can print it and use it as your best man duties checklist.
Best Man Responsibilities Checklist
Duties and Tasks Before The Wedding..
- Let the groom know that you are delighted to be his best man. This will at least give the groom confidence that he indeed has chosen the right guy as his best man.
- Help the groom choose his tux suit and organize fittings for him and also the groomsmen, if needed.
- Attend the engagement party and meet the family. One of the responsibilities of the best man is to meet the family of the groom, this will help get some idea on how the wedding could turn out.
- Organize and attend the bachelor party. This is a party exclusively for men. A chance to celebrate and get together a few days before the big day. This tradition is also known as a stag party – a male bonding experience for friends and family. Keep in mind that usually one of the duties of best man is to pay for the bachelor party – make sure you are prepared for this. Also it’s best to ask the groom what kind of party he wants – don’t go planning a stripper if he doesn’t want one.
- Help the groom with the wedding preparations. Weddings can be stressful for the groom and even if all the small details are taken care of, your role as someone to help and assist the groom is important – be his right-hand man, someone he can rely on.
- Arrange wedding accommodation for out of town groonmsmen - Guys who are not local will need to stay in hotels and part of the duties of the best man is to organize that.
- Finalize the groomsmen responsibilities and make sure the groomsmen are all prepared for the wedding. Oh yeah, you’d better start thinking about writing best man speeches and toasts.
- Go to the rehearsals - You don’t want to ruin your friend’s big day by not knowing what to do as the best man, so always be there for the rehearsals. This is one of the more important things when it comes to weddings and best man etiquette.
Got a best friend who is a dude? Can I have a male bridesmaid for my wedding? Find out the answer…
“What does a best man do at a wedding? Your best man wedding duties will start before the wedding. As a point person, you have been chosen as someone the groom can depend on. Be the best of the best men!”
Check out our great ideas for cheap groomsmen gifts under 10 dollars.
Best Man Duties and Responsibilities
What Does the Best Man in a Wedding do During The Wedding Day?
Apart from helping out the groom in the preparations for the big day, you also have specific best man duties and responsibilities during the wedding day.
- Make sure the groom arrives safely, soberly and early to the church or the ceremony location and check he has the marriage license with him.
- Be with the groom before the ceremony starts. Men can also get nervous and feel the pressure of such a big day – as the best man, you have to be someone who can lighten up the pressure and remove the stress from the groom.
- Be in charge of the groomsmen duties. What does the best man do at a wedding when it comes to the groomsmen? Well, make sure they each have their proper attire as well as boutonnieres – these are always worn on the left lapel, stem facing down. Make sure they all know their roles and duties.
- Take charge of the wedding rings. Put them in a safe place – it’s very important not to lose them! This is one of the most responsible duties of a best man at a wedding.
- Walk down the aisle ahead of the groom. Keep in mind that modern-day weddings have evolved and couples don’t just walk down the aisle these days, but they literally dance their way to the altar.
- Sign the marriage certificate and pay the clergyman on behalf of the couple. If you are a witness then you will sign the marriage certificate.
- Escort the maid of honor out of the church – The best man and maid of honor usually exit the ceremony venue together.
What are the Best Man’s Duties During the Wedding Reception?
When it comes to the reception, what does a best man at a wedding do? It’s not just about standing around and chatting with the ladies. Here is a best man checklist for the reception:
- Welcome the guests to the reception, together with the rest of the groomsmen. In fact, this is one of their main tasks – play host to the wedding reception and make sure everyone is shown to their seats.
- Give a toast to the couple and make a best man’s speech. Prepare and practice your best man speech as this is one of the highlights of every wedding. How long should a wedding toast be? Find out more.
- Dance with the bride, the maid of honor and the bridesmaids. This is one best man duty a lot of men like!
- Finally, the best man is also responsible for packing the groom’s suitcase for the honeymoon and organizing a getaway car for the airport.
Indeed, the best man responsibilities and duties are quite challenging, so it is always important to have a best man’s duties checklist to guide you through the process. Don’t worry too much about it, just stay calm and remember to be available for the groom when he needs you.
Have you been chosen for best man? Got any funny stories? Comment, tweet, let us know…