Having problems on what to wear to a winter wedding as a guest? If you have a friend who wants to get married around Christmas time, you can’t stop them from doing so and the only thing you can do is find good winter wedding wear. We’ve got some essential advice that is guaranteed to help you during the cold months…
I got an email from a long-time friend who asked me what to wear to a December wedding, The wedding is being held in Minnesota and during December, temperatures are often below freezing in the daytime and at night even colder. The last time we met was at a summer wedding and she was wearing a beautiful strapless number.
Guest Dresses For Winter Wedding and What to Consider
When choosing what to wear to a winter wedding, what do you have to consider?
- Fabric choice – you have to consider the type of fabric for your dress. You surely don’t want to freeze in the cold outside but you don’t want to overheat when inside either.
- Style – most of the gowns that women wear to weddings are strapless, or sleeveless gowns and these styles may not work in winter and for sure, you don’t want to wear something that will make your goosebumps visible.
- Shoes and Accessories – Consider accessories that are useful for the cold weather. Leggings can be creatively worn. Avoid stilettos too.
- Color – Avoid white if you are a guest – whether a winter wedding or not, this is one of the golden rules. Don’t wear black either, especially if the wedding is in the day. Avoid outfits that are too bright as well. Save them for summer weddings.
- Complement your winter attire with a great hairstyle for the cold months. We’ve got some great wedding hairstyles for guests you just gotta check out.
“What to wear for a winter wedding? There are many things to consider when choosing dresses to wear to a winter wedding. Number one on my list is to keep warm.”
What Can You Wear To A Winter Wedding?
Here are some ideas for winter wedding guest outfits that will help you choose your winter outfit:
- A knee-length or tea-length gown. Although long winter gowns can cover and warm yourself up, they may however be too much. Tea-length dresses can be good. You could also accessorize your outfit with black leggings or fur necklines.
- Long-sleeved dresses can be a good option and are actually good choices for winter weddings. You can make it more chic by going for an off-shoulder, long sleeved dress.
- Dresses with fur necklines. They look good for winter weddings.
- A good choice of tunic can also make nice wedding guest attire for any winter wedding.
- A cardigan, bolero, fur jacket or shawladded to your strapless gown to make your dress more stylish. These additions can also add to the warmth of your wedding attire.
- A feathered shrug on top of your dress can make for elegant and stylish winter wedding guest attire.
- Dresses made of velvet fabric can basically keep you warm at a winter wedding. Avoid silk dresses as they may leave your knees shaking from the cold. Also avoid light materials for your dresses, especially for skirts. They may easily fly up in the wind and you surely don’t want to embarrass yourself in front of the other guests.
Although there are really no strict rules on what to wear to a wedding in winter, your choices will all boil down to comfort and what is appropriate attire for a cold day of partying and celebration.
Attending a winter wedding? How do you stay warm? Comment, tweet and let us know…